In 2019, the AHLA joined forces with Goodwill Industries of Alberta to implement two outstanding projects to divert tens of thousands of kilograms of waste from entering the landfill and to create jobs for people with disabilities in the hospitality industry.
The AHLA will work with Goodwill’s Career Connections department to create awareness for disability employment, customize employment opportunities, and provide on-the-job training.
To ensure hired individuals are successful, Goodwill will provide an employment coach to help the individual become fully independent at their job. Additionally, Goodwill will offer training to hotel leaders to enhance their understanding of inclusion.
Goodwill will accept a wide variety of donations from hotels that will be sold in Goodwill Stores, where 89% of revenues are invested in career development initiatives. Accepted items include:
- Couches, chairs, tables
- Nightstands, side tables, coffee tables
- Linens and textiles (sheets, towels, bathmats, robes, etc.)
- Electronics and electrical appliances
- Glassware and ceramics
- Wet or heavily soiled linens and textiles
- Construction materials (Drywall, toilets, insulation, etc.)
We hope to collect 50,000 kg of donations from member hotels!
Thank you to the following hotels for their donations:
- Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Edmonton International Airport (2,041 kg)
- Hampton Inn & Suites Edmonton West (272 kg)
- Sandman Hotel Edmonton West (1,045 kg)
- Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport (3,283 kg)
- Wingate by Wyndham West Edmonton (621 kg)