By July 2018, cannabis will be legal in Canada. It is up to each province to determine how cannabis will be distributed and consumed. The AHLA and our members have worked in partnership with the Government of Alberta to sell and serve liquor and tobacco for almost 100 years, and we are well positioned to add cannabis products to this portfolio.
The AHLA supports the Government of Alberta’s policy priorities to:
- Keep cannabis out of the hands of children and youth
- Protect public health
- Promote safety on roads, in workplaces, and in public places
- Limit the illegal cannabis market.
The AHLA supports:
- Expanding existing regulations for alcohol and tobacco to cannabis, including regulations for advertising and promotion.
- Educating Albertans about responsible use of alcohol, tobacco, and cannabis as part of the school curriculum starting no later than Grade 6.
- Controlling the potency and content of cannabis products available for sale to young adults.
- Developing a scientifically proven roadside test for cannabis impairment.
- Leveraging Alberta’s existing liquor industry model for the regulation, distribution, and sale of cannabis.