Accounting and Payroll Administrator
Are you in search of a challenging junior accounting role where you can use your skills and be part of a great team?
Are you looking for an opportunity in a dynamic, mission-driven organization that will empower you to grow your accounting & payroll skills and advance your career?
If you answered yes to these questions, then we want to meet you.
Who are we?
We’re the Alberta Hotel and Lodging Association, an Edmonton-based non-profit, membership-based organization. Our mission is to support our members and strengthen Alberta’s tourism and hospitality industry. Through our programs, services, and advocacy efforts, we strive to enhance the economic prosperity and social fabric of our industry.
We’ve been around for decades, and a large part of our ongoing success comes down to our service-oriented, supportive, and innovative team. Now, we’re looking to add an Accounting team member as our new Accounting and Payroll Administrator.
That’s where you come in.
About the Position
This position involves key accounting functions – processing AR and AP, doing deposits, tracking and monitoring collections, reporting, and other ad hoc accounting duties.
A key priority in this position is to process semi-monthly payroll for our organization, as well as for several other entities that we support. You’ll manage accurate and timely payroll processing, meet all deadlines and ensure all employees are paid correctly, and on time.
As a small organization, we’re all hands-on-deck, meaning there will be plenty of opportunities to jump in to support our team, providing you with variety and a chance to evolve within your role.
While strong accounting and payroll experience is required for this role, what’s equally important is who you are. If you have the following qualities, you’ll thrive as part of our team:
- Self-motivated – once you know what you need to do, you’re able to self-direct and check your own work independently. You enjoy staying busy, and so you’re always looking for new ways to proactively support your team.
- Technologically-savvy – you are comfortable using multiple systems at once and are able to learn new software and tools quickly. You’re able to leverage your systems knowledge to work efficiently and accurately.
- Forward-looking – you enjoy examining processes to see if there is room for improvement. You proactively bring ideas forward and are interested in finding ways for us to create more effective ways of working.
- Critical-thinking –you’re able to look at data and information, point out anomalies, and investigate them thoroughly. You enjoy digging into the details to find creative solutions to complex problems.
This is a unique opportunity to join a well-established organization, that is making a difference in our industry. If you’re ready to embrace your next challenge with us, then read on!
Working With Us
We’re a close-knit, friendly group of people who are committed to providing the best service and value to our members. We like to have fun, but when it comes to our mission, we take things seriously. Our team is approachable, welcoming, and collaborative. Many of our team members have been with us for 5+, 10+ and even 20 years – we think that says a lot!
This is a full-time position working in a well-designed office building in the Ellwood district in Southeast Edmonton. You’ll have your own office, access to a full kitchen and free parking. Our core office hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, although you’ll have some flexibility with your schedule as needed.
You’ll earn a competitive salary and be able to access RRSP and Health benefits after a standard waiting period. In addition to your regular vacation, we also take time off between Christmas and New Year’s!
- Strong experience with full-cycle payroll processing
- Good knowledge of accounting with previous experience in an accounting and/or bookkeeping role (e.g. junior accountant, accounting assistant, or similar)
- Intermediate to advanced level of skill with Microsoft Excel, with experience using conditional formatting and advanced Excel functions
- Experience with Microsoft Navision and Microsoft Dynamics 365 and/or a similar financial system and CRM
- Experience with report builders such as Jet Reports is preferable
- Post-secondary education (degree, diploma, certificate) in payroll, accounting, bookkeeping, finance, or related
- Payroll practitioner certification is an asset but not required
How to Apply
Our online application will give you the option to apply to this role as a complete person – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences, and should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. After submitting, you’ll receive an email inviting you to log in and view your assessment results. You may also be asked to complete an Excel test as part of the application process.
We will review applications, with priority given to those who have completed the assessment and look forward to hearing from you.
Seeking work in the hospitality industry?
Please visit tourismworks.ca.