We are currently recruiting for a Senior Accountant.
Who are you?
You’re a skilled accounting professional, looking for a progressive, mission-focused organization to grow your accounting experience.
You want a challenging and engaging role where you can use your accounting skills to make a big impact on a provincial association that represents and serves many businesses.
Who are we?
We’re the Alberta Hotel and Lodging Association (AHLA), an Edmonton-based, not- for-profit, membership-based organization. Our purpose is to help our members prosper. Our government relations work protects and promotes the interests of our members with regards to legislation, policy, and regulations that affect Alberta’s tourism and hospitality industry. To enhance the value of membership, we also deliver resources and programs that improve the quality of hotel operations and provide cost savings on major overhead expenditures.
We’ve been around for a century, and a large part of our success comes down to our service-oriented, collaborative, and innovative team. We’re looking for a talented and detail-oriented Senior Accountant to oversee our full-cycle accounting processes.
That’s where you come in.
You will prepare accurate and timely financial statements and documents for our organization and the other entities we support. You will be executing our full-cycle accounting processes and manage the month-end functions with support from our Accounting Assistant. You will own your role, supporting our Director of Finance, and anticipating the functions and reporting required for us to be successful.
Practically speaking, you will:
- Oversee general ledger and subledger operations for all entities
- Manage month-end functions
- Perform year-end functions and support annual audit process
- Support annual budgeting process
- Summarize and report on any variances, issues, or risks with accuracy
- Satisfy operational and regulatory filing deadlines, ensuring accuracy
- Oversee payroll functions and processes
- Coordinate with management teams/clients and prepare financial packages for leadership team and Board of Directors
- Manage and support the Accounting Assistant
You’re forward-thinking, a great communicator, and work collaboratively with staff, members, and stakeholders. As a small team, we’re all hands-on-deck, meaning there will be plenty of learning opportunities, variety, and a chance to evolve within your role.
While strong accounting experience is required for this role, what’s equally important is who you are. You’ll be a great fit for this role if you are:
- A problem-solver – you’re proactive, can find problems or opportunities before they arise, bring ideas forward, and are interested in finding better ways of working. You have an analytical mind and enjoy solving complex problems.
- A strong communicator – you always get your message across clearly, whether through an email or in-person conversations with members, staff, and others.
- Accountable –you provide timely and accurate financial data and reporting. You ensure adherence to internal controls and compliance with regulations.
- Organized– you know how to manage competing priorities to meet deadlines effectively.
- Motivated – you are fully engaged to get the best results.
This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic, mission-driven organization that makes a real difference. If you’re ready to embrace your next challenge with us, then keep reading!
Working with the AHLA
We’re a close-knit, collaborative group of people committed to providing the best service and value to our members. Some of our team members have been with us for five, 10, and even 20 years, which we think says a lot. All of us embrace our five core values:
- We live with Integrity. We choose to do the right thing, even when it’s hard.
- We take pride in Serving. Service is an attitude. It’s about doing your best, in whatever job you’ve been given to do.
- We embrace Challenge. If you prefer a job that is familiar with repetitive tasks and little disruption, then working at the AHLA is probably not for you.
- We are Stewards. Anything less than taking full responsibility for the trust we’ve been given, does not reflect our value of Stewardship.
- We have Fun. If you want to work for us, bring your passion and enthusiasm, and prepare to have some fun!
In 2018, the AHLA implemented the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) to help us better execute on our vision and instill clear focus, discipline, and accountability throughout our organization. The EOS tools help our team work with greater clarity and consistently achieve better results.
This is currently a 0.8 FTE position, with the potential to move to full-time. We are located in the Ellwood district of Southeast Edmonton with free parking. Our standard business hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30-4:30 p.m., with some flexibility. You can expect to work irregular hours during peak periods.
The salary range for this role will depend on your experience. You will have access to health benefits after the probationary period.
- Experience with full-cycle accounting processes, and strong knowledge of accounting principles and Canadian payroll
- Experience in a supervisory role
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Experience coordinating with multiple entities and managing multiple projects
- Intermediate to advanced level of skill with Microsoft Excel, with experience using Excel for the purpose of accounting (including use of formulas, functions, pivot tables, VLOOKUP, etc.)
- Experience with Microsoft Navision and Microsoft Dynamics 365 and/or a similar financial system and CRM
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in accounting
- Experience working in a not-for-profit association (an asset)
- Professional accounting designation (in progress or completed) (an asset)
How to Apply
Please submit your application via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.