Applications are now being accepted for the latest round of Alberta’s Small and Medium Enterprise Relaunch Grant. Applications will be open until May 31.
Businesses affected by the most recent public health orders may qualify for another payment of up to $10,000. The government has informed the AHLA that hotels that meet the eligibility criteria AND can detail how their operations were impacted by public health orders may apply.
This grant will also be available to new businesses that began operating between March 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021.
Qualifying Businesses Must:
- Have less than 500 employees (full time, part-time, and contract combined). Seasonal businesses may use the number of employees from the year prior to when the COVID-19 public health orders were introduced, or the average number of employees over the 3 years prior.
- Have been required to temporarily close or curtail operations due to the April 2021 COVID-19 public health orders and be able to detail how and when operations were required to be closed or curtailed.
- Be open or plan to reopen as public health orders are lifted.
- Have experienced a reduction in revenue of at least 30% as a result of the COVID-19 public health orders:
- Applicants can choose any month between the stated times to maximize their benefit payment and meet the required 30% revenue reduction.
- Businesses that opened on or before Feb 29, 2020 must demonstrate that reduction by comparing a month between November 2019 – April 2020 to the same month in the following year.
- New businesses that opened between March 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021 must demonstrate that reduction by comparing a month between April 2020 – April 2021 to a month between November 2020 – April 2021.
- Businesses with multiple permanent physical establishments in Alberta that have seen revenue reduction are eligible to apply for funding for each establishment. This includes scenarios where a business has more than one location that has seen revenue reduction of at least 30% due to COVID-19 public health orders. Applicants will be required to submit separate applications for each location, and check the appropriate box in the application form.
- If any other payments, grants, or amounts were received from federal or provincial government sources or from insurance to replace or compensate for the loss of revenue (other than the sources listed above), your business is not eligible to apply.
To Calculate Your Revenue:
- The spring 2021 payment is calculated as 15% of the eligible business’ revenue from the chosen month to a maximum of $10,000.
- When determining the revenue amount for the chosen months, in addition to sales revenue, applicants must also include amounts received from the permitted COVID-19 support programs listed in the eligibility criteria.
- Amounts received from other supports must be prorated and added to the appropriate revenue month used in the application.
Funds May Be Used For:
- Physical barriers
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Disinfecting supplies
- Employee wages
- Replacing inventory
- See attached guidelines for other acceptable uses