Gas bills can be hefty in the cold winter months. Use these tips to help you manage your natural gas usage:
Take Advantage of Heat from the Sun
- Open curtains on your south-facing windows during the day to allow sunlight to naturally heat your property, and close them at night to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows.
Cover Drafty Windows
- Install tight-fitting, insulating drapes or shades on windows that feel drafty after weatherizing.
Adjust the Temperature
- During daytime hours, set your thermostat as low as possible while maintaining comfort.
- When your guests are asleep, turn your thermostat back to 15°C for eight hours and save approximately 10% a year on your heating and cooling bills. A smart or programmable thermostat can help so you don’t have to remember.
Find and Seal Leaks
- Seal the air leaks around utility cut-throughs for pipes, gaps around chimneys, recessed lights in insulated ceilings, and unfinished spaces behind cupboards and closets.
- Use caulk or weather stripping to seal air leaks around leaky doors and windows.
Maintain Your Heating Systems
- Schedule an annual service for your heating system.
- Replace your filters in your furnaces and heat pumps once a month, or as needed.
If you are interested in managing your gas bill through the AHLA Natural Gas Program through Gas Alberta Energy, please email Lori Turnbull, Manager, Consumer Solutions.