After the launch of the Alberta Recovery Plan, the AHLA sent a letter to Premier Kenney to thank the government for their efforts to support liquidity for Alberta hotels, and to encourage them to:
- Advocate for the extension of the Canadian Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS).
- Repeal and replace the Tourism Levy Act with legislation that dedicates funds generated by the
levy to tourism marketing and tourism product development through Travel Alberta.
- Preserve the accountability, local autonomy, and adaptability of Destination Marketing Fees.
- Provide a credit on the liquor mark up for businesses that hold a Class A liquor licence.
- Leverage the ability of Alberta’s historic sites and museums to drive tourism activity outside of Edmonton,
Calgary, and the Rockies.
- Support Alberta’s film production industry.
- Work with the AHLA to support the conversion of distressed hotels in communities around Alberta to other
purposes such as assisted living and affordable housing.