AHLA President & CEO, Dave Kaiser, met with the Premier and Ministers of Finance and Economic Development, Trade, & Tourism on March 17 to ask for additional tools to support Alberta’s hotel industry and its employees as a result of the COVID-19 situation.
Liquidity & Credit
- Extend the payment deadline for Tourism Levy remittances to September 30, 2020, with no interest or penalties.
- Reduce the liquor markup.
- Extend the deadline for filing and payment of 2019 corporate and personal income taxes.
- Temporarily suspend collection of the GST.
- Temporarily suspend collection of Employment Insurance and Canada Pension Plan.
- Suspend the federal carbon tax.
- Extend the deadline for payment of municipal property taxes with no interest or penalties.
- Current provisions related to layoffs in the Employment Standards Code be amended to reduce notice periods and extend the maximum duration of temporary layoffs.
- Employment Standards acknowledge the existing circumstances in the event of future claims related to terminations.
- Give special consideration to any hotels in Alberta that are called upon for quarantine purposes.
- Work with hotels to identify properties appropriate for use as seniors or supportive housing in communities around Alberta.
- Invest in additional funding to Travel Alberta to promote Alberta as a tourist destination when marketing efforts are able to resume. When people start travelling again, competition will be fierce within the global visitor economy.
The AHLA will continue to advocate for our members as the COVID-19 situation progresses.
Please visit ahla.ca/covid19 for resources and support.