Earlier this month, AHLA President and CEO Dave Kaiser was in Ottawa as a part of the Hotel Association of Canada’s Hotel Hill Day, speaking to Federal MPs and promoting two key issues facing Albertan hoteliers: labour shortages, and the short-term rental industry.
Key highlights of the trip include:
- An intimate 45-minute roundtable discussion with The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Tourism, Official Languages and La Francaphonie.
- An all-party panel discussion on labour shortages in the hotel sector.
- A press conference, held in the Charles Lynch Room in Centre Block on Parliament Hill to launch new research, conducted by Nanos Research, uncovering Canadians’ concerns about short-term rentals in their neighbourhood.
- 55+ meetings with parliamentarians.
- 30 hotel industry executive leaders from across the country in attendance.
- Social media engagement included a special Twitter hashtag #HotelHillDay and highlighted results of the new short-term rental research – reaching more than 6 million people online.
- A prominent transit shelter advertisement was placed just outside Parliament Hill, which showcases the need for fair rules for the short-term rental industry.
Your voice was heard loud and clear with many MPs offering their support, advice, and a willingness to help as we move forward.