Firstly, as we start the new year, we would like to thank our members for their support of the Alberta Hotel & Lodging Association. We are more committed than ever to serve our members through our programs, services, and advocacy efforts. Here are some of the things we did for our members in 2017:
- Worked with the Hotel Association of Canada to advocate for a level playing field between short-term rental platforms and hotels. By working together, we successfully changed policies in Vancouver and Toronto, which will set a precedent for other Canadian cities.
- Conducted the 2017 Wage Survey. Because of strong participation by our members, the survey results represented 47% of guest rooms and 57% of industry employees. The survey data will help members budget for labour and help the AHLA give the NDP government the real facts about the impact of minimum wage increases.
- Advocated to ensure hotels have a seat at the table with the Government of Alberta as discussions occur about the administration of DMFs. The AHLA will fight to ensure DMFs drive tourism, not municipal revenue.
- Through our Employer of Choice program, we helped members measure and improve their human resource practices to help make their property unattractive to unions.
- Told the NDP how changes to the Employment Standards Code, Labour Relations Code, and Occupational Health and Safety legislation will affect hotels around Alberta.
In 2018, the AHLA will continue to advocate for our members and support you in challenging economic times. AHLA members have exclusive access to programs that can help you manage many of your biggest costs, such as food, power, and natural gas, just to name a few.
Our members will elect new directors in March. If you are interested in running for election, notify Steven Watters, Governance Committee Chair, at 780.784.2950 by Friday, March 3. Online elections take place March 19-23, 2018. AHLA members in good standing will be sent voting instructions in early March.
We hope to see you at the 2018 Convention and Trade Show April 15-17 at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, and look forward to serving you in 2018!
Watch this short video where AHLA President & CEO Dave Kaiser outlines what’s to come in the new year: