Now Hiring: Community Social Media Specialist
The Alberta Hotel & Lodging Association (AHLA) is a member-driven organization that represents the interests of more than 850 hotels, motels and campgrounds across the province. Since 1922, our association has provided a common voice to important issues that affect Alberta’s tourism and hospitality industry. Our philosophy of creating value through partnership has resulted in tremendous benefits for our industry.
We are driven by our mission to support our members and strengthen Alberta’s tourism and hospitality industry. Knowing what we stand for is important. It inspires us to create outstanding value and deliver exemplary service to our members. We are currently looking to add a Community Social Media Specialist to our team. If interested, please forward your resume to us via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As an emerging occupation within the field of public relations, the Community Social Media Specialist will market our organization on the web and use a variety of tools and strategies to create a targeted, well branded online presence for the organization. In general, the Specialist will:
- manage the organization's presence on social networking sites (for example, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Flickr, blogs, forums).
- monitor social media sites for potential issues that could affect the organization.
- identify opportunities to engage stakeholders in conversations designed to solicit opinions, stimulate debates, clarify facts and other activities aimed at increasing transparency.
- develop and execute strategic marketing and communication plans to build active and sustainable online communities for the organization.
- use a wide variety of social media tools (for example, blogging, social bookmarking, tagging) to create and maintain an online presence.
- conduct public opinion and attitude surveys online to identify the interests and concerns of key groups served by the organization.
- identify key performance indicators, evaluate the effectiveness of social media events or campaigns and report results to senior managers.
- create, execute and monitor social media campaigns.
- write editorials and promotional material and create content for various social media channels.
- train and advise staff on the use of social media channels.
- audit current use of social media channels for effectiveness and return on investment.
- develop social media guidelines for the organization.
- manage online discussion forums and respond to web inquiries from the public.
- maintain awareness of social technology and related trends.
The Specialist may also work closely with the organization's information technology staff to:
- define and implement search engine optimization strategies to maximize the organization's search ranking.
- update the organization's website.
- identify and train appropriate staff to respond to specific inquiries from the public through social media channels (for example, services, strategic communication, crisis management).
Characteristics of the Social Media Specialist should include:
- good oral and written communication and presentation skills
- excellent interpersonal skills including good consultation, training and negotiation skills
- the ability to analyze problems and find practical solutions
- the ability to deal with ambiguity
- excellent organizational and time management skills
- a desire to keep up with changing technology.
They should enjoy:
- co-ordinating information and finding innovative ways to handle problems
- taking a methodical approach to gathering, researching and editing information.
- influencing people.
Educational Requirements include:
A bachelor's degree in marketing, information technology, journalism, public relations or communications plus demonstrated experience using:
- social networks within an organizational and personal context
- online community building techniques
- RSS feeds, website coding languages, Flash, forums and blogs
- website content management systems
- search engine optimization and social media optimization tools.
Please see our Job Bank section for more industry related postings.